William J. and Jean M. Kelly celebrated their 65th wedding anniversary with a party given by their children and immediate family at their home in Rumson. An additional party was held at The Brothers Restaurant, Red Bank.
The Kellys were married Aug. 2, 1947, at St. Mary’s Catholic Church, New Castle, Pa.
Mr. Kelly retired in 1984 as president of J.H. Kelly Co. Automotive Parts, Red Bank, and managed Felix Auto Parts from 1984 to 1995. He served in the Third Army during World War II as a field artillery observer, seeing action in France, the Ardennes, the Rhineland and Central Europe. He is a member of the Red Bank Kiwanis Club.
Mrs. Kelly, the former Jean Louise McConnell, attended the University of Minnesota and worked as an engineering aide at Watson Laboratories, located at Fort Monmouth during World War II. She also worked as a bookkeeper for Louis J. Weinstein Co., Little Silver, for 28 years. As a member of the Presbyterian Church at Shrewsbury for more than 50 years, she served as a deacon, and a member of the bell choir for many years.
Children of the couple are Jill (Kelly) and Paul Drew, Spring Lake Heights; Mary (Cook) and Dr. W. Jeffrey Kelly, Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio; Janet (Kelly) and Fred Lundquist, Encinitas, Calif.; and Joy (Kelly) and Greg Stiles, Luray, Va. Mr. and Mrs. Kelly have eight grandchildren and six great-grandchildren.
They currently enjoy traveling with their children and their families, having traveled to Europe and more recently throughout the United States and Canada.
When asked if they have a secret to the longevity of their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Kelly said, “We honor our vows.”
- About TRT
- TRT Customer Service
- TRT Almanac